Thursday, September 02, 2004

Busy busy busy week that's left me feeling quite down. Oh well, time to buck up.

Carnival was busy and smoky and full of high, dancing folk, as usual. I gave the jerk chicken a skip and went instead for the jerk pork (um..........pork). Ackee and saltfish was another dish that I'd been dying to try and, sure enough, the ackee really does look like scrambled egg! Luckily, it doesn't taste like scrambled egg but it doesn't really taste like any fruit I know either. It has a slightly creamy texture and has a more savoury than sweet flavour and it goes very well with the saltfish. All this was accompanied by lots of rice and peas, roasted corn and a fried dumpling (a deep-fried, very dense, dough ball).

Oh, and the costumes? Yeah, they were good too. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you could get Ackees in London!

Have you seen them anywhere else apart from at carnival?

12:16 am  
Blogger Su-Lin said...

Hello!

I've seen ackee and saltfish at Mr Jerk (one on Wardour St and another on Westbourne Grove) but I've never seen the actual fruit sold whole.... Perhaps in Brixton? I've heard that the market there sells lots of things!

11:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home