Monday, February 21, 2005

My 50 favourite foods. Yes, I'm obsessed with food. This was created by wilco - thanks for a terrific, lengthy questionnaire (thought I'm pretty sure it won't be too difficult to push it to 100 favourites)! Note: my answers are probably going to change if you ask me the same questions tomorrow.

1. favorite main entree:
I have to choose one?!? Cuisine is not specified...I will take it to mean "food from a restaurant where the idea is that each person orders one main and does not share it with anybody else". OK, in that case, I like pad thai a lot. Keep your hands off mine!

2. favorite salad:
Caesar salad. Or a tomato salad when they're in season (tomatoes, not tomato salads).

3. favorite soup:
Oh, I love my mother's tofu and cabbage soup with lots of chilli...I can never exactly figure out what goes into it.

4. favorite appetizer:
It's very difficult for me to not choose the fried calamari.

5. favorite dessert:
Iles flottantes. I ought to try making it one day - I have a recipe lying around.

6. favorite fruit:
Mangosteens. Just give me a huge bowlful, a sharp knife and a spoon and I'll stay quiet for a *whole* hour.

7. favorite vegetable:
Mmm...I had a whole plateful of peashoots fried with garlic and ginger that would be a strong contender but...nope, it's going to have to be that other classic...gai lan.

8. favorite sashimi:
None. I don't like sashimi.

9. favorite sushi roll:
Those ones with the tempura prawns inside!

10. favorite soda beverage:
Barq's root beer. You can't get decent root beer in this country.

11. favorite non-alcoholic beverage:
There sure are a lot of drink questions. Water. I'm trying to drink lots of it.

12. favorite alcoholic shot:
Don't like shots.

13. favorite alcoholic drink:
Don't really like the taste of alcohol actually.

14. favorite cake:
Currently, it's this one.

15. favorite pie:
Blueberry pie...hot and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting overtop.

16. favorite ice cream:
Rocombe Farm Stem Ginger! Hill Station Mango and Lime! Haagen Daaz Pralines and Cream!

17. favorite milkshake:
Chocolate!

18. favorite cut of beef:
Any tenderloin cut. Like filet mignon.

19. favorite cuisine:
Peranakan!

20. favorite part of chicken: (leg, wing, thigh, breast)
Anythings that's dark meat - so leg, thigh and wing are equally tasty. White meat is just so...blah.

21. favorite fried food:
Mmmmmm....oil....... crisps!

22. favorite cookie:
I love the classics: Tollhouse chocolate chip!

23. favorite indian curry:
Hmm...a chicken madras would go down nicely right about now.

24. favorite gum:
Gum. I only chew it when somebody offers me a piece. I never buy my own. :)

25. favorite candy:
Can I say that chocolate is candy? I love the chocolate covered almonds by Artisan du Chocolat.

26. favorite crepe:
I like sweet crepes to be plain and simple - a dusting of powdered sugar will usually do. Creme de marron is also lovely.

27. favorite sandwich:
Bahn mi. That's another something I can't find so easily in London. I need to get out of Zone 1 more often.

28. favorite pizza:
A thin crust pizza with parma ham and fresh rucola.

29. favorite mexican dish:
I haven't had much Mexican yet...but I thoroughly enjoyed my carnitas when I made them. Thank you, egullet! However, I will have a chance to eat Cuban food soon...

30. favorite vietnamese dish:
I like the grilled lemongrass chicken or pork on top of a bed of rice noodles. Yum yum!

31. favorite korean dish:
Kimchi. What?! I really really really like it! And I like bibimbap! And chapchae!

32. favorite chinese dish:
OK, there are just too many to list. I have dim sum favourites, I have favourite preparations of a particular ingredient, and I have favourites when it comes to regional specialities too.

33. favorite filipino dish:
This is one Asian cuisine that I've never had.

34. favorite southern food:
Chicken fried steak! Or chicken fried chicken!

35. favorite instant noodles brand:
Mama...it's Thai.

36. favorite juice:
Mango nectar. Oooh, it's so thick!

37. favorite snack food:
Sweet snack: baklava. Savoury snack: murukku.

38. favorite fish:
Skate. Haven't had it in a while.

39. favorite cereal:
Cereal? Um...I don't really eat it anymore...but Rice Krispies are good to have around for rice krispie squares. And I used to like Corn Pops and Kix too.

40. favorite pho:
Rare beef and beef balls mixed. If possible, make the soup spicy.

41. favorite breakfast food:
Eggs Benedict! Wouldn't it be nice to have eggs benedict any time you want? I also like Nigella Lawson's Masala omelette. I prefer savoury breakfasts.

42. favorite french food:
Confit de canard. Anything with canard. I stupidly bought only one tin of rillettes de canard from Paris and am suffering withdrawal symptoms.

43. favorite mcdonalds food:
The fries. Those salty strips of oil.

44. favorite pasta dish:
I really adored a recipe I made a while back...orechiette with broccoli and anchovies. And I tossed in some pine nuts too!

45. favorite bread:
A white sourdough, please. Failing that, a proper baguette. Oh hang on, I'm forgetting all about roti canai and puris!

46. favorite tea:
I'm not a big tea drinker but I normally choose green tea (Chinese, not Japanese).

47. favorite 7-11 slurpee flavor:
Crush cream soda! Yes, in that lurid pink colour!

48. favorite hershey's kiss:
If I must, just a plain one, thanks.

49. favorite flavor of m&m's:
Peanut or almond.

50. favorite candy bar:
Kit Kat. And not the big thick ones either. The old-fashioned 4 finger bar...wrapped in foil like the old times.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jess said...

Hey Su-Lin, I was going through your archives and notice that you used to update almost everyday. WTH happened?! *cry*

9:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had been blogging trying to find how our world sees food gift. It has been a lifeline for us. Your site provides some of the best examples of this sort and we will bookmark yours. Another one we found was and appears to be related to yours is food gift site/blog. It pretty much covers food gift related stuff.

6:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home